Friday, January 27, 2012

pink line + pink line = baby!

We found out or rather I found out that I was pregnant pretty early on in our pregnancy – 3 weeks along to be exact, which a.) didn’t know what possible and b.) has made it that much HARDER to keep quiet. The day I found out I felt the same as I had any other day. That morning I was lucky enough to hang out with all of my best high school girlfriends and all of their beautiful daughters that ranged in ages from 10 months to 4 years old ---> here's the post (I'm so glad I took pictures that day).

We had gotten together that morning to spend time and visit with each other during the Thanksgiving break and it was so wonderful to play and catch up with everyone. I remember looking around and seeing all these different girls at all these different ages and it made me feel so content that one day I would have one of those myself. I had no idea how much sooner literally ‘one day’ would be.

I went about my day as usual, got a coffee with Shelly, we picked up a few things at target and I opted for a movie and sushi dinner with my parents and brother who was visiting in town that night. Right before we were about to see the movie I had one sip of coffee and felt like I was going to up-chuck it…..thought to myself, hmm that’s kinda weird, but the feeling had passed so I didn’t think too much of it. Dinner came and just to be overly precautious I ordered teriyaki chicken and tempura, which I NEVER get because I love sashimi (and we all know that’s a no no in the pregnancy world). About halfway through dinner I felt so bloated that I couldn’t eat another bite of food…..felt odd to me since I’m never like that – especially not with Japanese food.
When I got home, it was just Harley and me since Gregg was out of town. I decided that for no apparent reason I was going to take a pregnancy test that I had been saving for a few months. My ‘friend’ was suppose to show up the following week but something just felt right about taking it that night, I can’t really explain it – plus we had been ‘trying’ for a month and a half. I figured, why not?

I did what you do in the movies, ripped open the package, took a deep breath, peed on the stick BUT instead of torturing myself waiting for 3 minutes, I jumped in the shower while the stick did it’s magic. In the shower I thought to myself that I would be happy with either outcome – truly I would. If I wasn’t pregnant then I vowed to really kick my work out’s into high gear and prep my body for when I would be pregnant and if it was positive….well then I’d be the happiest person ever! I have never been so nervous to get out of the shower, ha ha!!! As I approched the 'stick' I could not believe what I saw. I immediately picked up the 'stick' and saw two bright pink lines, I remember looking at myself in the mirror and whispered, OMG I’m pregnant. I don’t think I will ever forget the look on my face or how I felt.

I'm sure most of you are wondering...hello - where was Gregg during all of this??? Not to worry, I'm getting to him....... hold your horses!
Gregg had gone to the big Stanford vs. Notre Dame game that Saturday with a few of his best guy friends from Sacramento and had plans to stay overnight. Naturally I didn’t want to tell him over the phone, nor did I want to tell him until I had officially confirmed it with a ‘second stick’ the next morning….so ALL night I kept the news to myself and looked at the stick at least 20 times just to make sure the line didn't disappear. That night, I started a diary about my journey (day one!!!) and I thought of creative ways on how to tell the best husband in the world that he was about to be the best daddy in the world.

The next morning came and I was 2 for 2 with the stick test and super giddy all day. After much thought I decided to scrapbook him a picture of a belly with a few fun words and somehow attach the stick to the card. I saw an adorable book cover and thought....I could make that...and this is what I came up with:

He walked through the door and I was super happy to see him (he thought he’d be in trouble since he hadn’t checked in since last night). I heard about his weekend and then handed him the card. He immediately felt the stick in the card and said “Are you serious?” I replied with “I have no idea what you’re talking about” even though he could see my smile growing bigger and bigger. My heart was pounding as he opened the card and it revealed the big news that we had created a life together. We were both teary and hugging. It was one of the best feelings we have ever shared together in our eight year relationship.  

And so our story of how two became three begins.....

(well technically it's four because we have Harley but you get the drift!)

No comments: